Re: Yellow nutsedge control-Basagran

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Yellow nutsedge control-Basagran
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:57:13 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Robert E. Stassen wrote:

> BASF has a product "Basagran" (bentazon) which has some activity on yellow
> nutsedge.  Turf companies in Nebraska used it to remove yellow nutsedge from
> lawns, although it does not translocate well into the root and "nut," i.e.,
> most of the activity is through contact.
> Regards,
> Bob Stassen, Ag-chemical s/r in previous life.
	While I lived in TX, I was plagued with nutgrass in several areas.
I bought Basagran and followed the directions on the label.  It killed the
nutgrass, but it also killed the soil.  Absolutely nothing would grow in
the area were Basagran had been applied.  The chemical agent(s) in
Basagran were active in the soil for years!  Better to use the old
reliable method of 'Stoop and Yank!'

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8