Re: Yellow nutsedge control-Basagran

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Yellow nutsedge control-Basagran
  • From: bstassen@comp.uark.edu (Robert E. Stassen)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 10:44:00 -0600 (MDT)

>While I lived in TX, I was plagued with nutgrass in several areas.
>I bought Basagran and followed the directions on the label.  It killed the
>nutgrass, but it also killed the soil.  Absolutely nothing would grow in
>the area were Basagran had been applied.  The chemical agent(s) in
>Basagran were active in the soil for years!  Better to use the old
>reliable method of 'Stoop and Yank!'
>	Walter Moores
>	Enid Lake, MS 7/8

Obviously, I think you were using a rate a "little higher" than a quart of
product/acre (or in a suspension with water, at about 50 gals. spray per
acre, or a 1:200 ratio).  Remember, this product was successful in
selectively removing broadleaves from soybeans and  yellow nutsedge from
bluegrass lawns.   At recommended rates, the product has little, if any soil
activity.  What did you do, pour it out of the jug on the ground?  (Is it
any wonder why ag-chem companies AVOID home owner/gardener markets?)