Re: IRIS-L digest 763 Cult

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: IRIS-L digest 763 Cult
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <Koekkoek@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:35:25 -0600 (MDT)

Date:          Tue, 16 Sep 1997 21:03:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:          "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
To:            Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>

Reply:  Griff, I try to wait until it has frozen more than once.
I've always been told that one should wait until the ground freezes,
but I can't afford to wait that long becanse by then there may well
be snow cover.  So I wait until there's been a good hard freeze (if
there is a "good" freeze!) and do it then.  Foliage is still green at
that point, but it's the rhizome I care about, not foliage.
Arnold

Arnold Koekkoek wrote:

> I'd say you ought to mulch with something that doesn't pack down but
> protects from winter sun.

 Thanks for the advice, Arnold -- but when do you recommend applying the
mulch -- before first freeze -- after?

Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA, where the
disastrous winter of 1995-96 heaved up and killed hundreds of
well-rooted, but unmulched, seedlings transplanted in July.
jgcrump@erols.com

Arnold Koekkoek                         Home Ph. (712) 722-0724
Assoc. Prof. of History                 Off. Ph. (712) 722-6326
Dordt College                           e-mail koekkoek@dordt.edu
Sioux Center, IA 51250