Re: Burning off

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Burning off
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 20:44:32 -0600 (MDT)

Clarence Mahan had some experience with burning off iris beds (or
remembered his mother or grandmother doing it).  Check the archives from
last year to see what was said.  I wondered about timing, and his advice
was to do it about 'English' pea planting time or a bit earlier in
spring.  That would be Feb or so here.  I guess the idea is to burn
before spring growth starts.  I was chicken to try it - feared one more
stressor would rot the whole lot.  This may have worked well on older
cultivars, but I dunno about these fussy new babies.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA