RE: three striking iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: three striking iris
  • From: Jim Wilson <wilsonjh@one.net>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 21:32:51 -0600 (MDT)

Quite a challenge.  I feel a strong tendency to pick an iris as
striking when it is something that is off the beaten path, at
least the path around my own area, and so I have been struck
by seeing I. korolkowii, I. sofarana (I _think_ that's what it was),
and I. confusa.  Spurias tend to be striking too on their merits,
and some of them will actually grow here--I. carthaliniae,
I. graminea, and Belise are striking in their structural elegance.
I. pseudacorus Beuron is certainly one you'd notice.
Other good beardless have some striking things about them--
Shaker's Prayer for interesting plant form, Mysterious Monique
for saturated color, Crystal Halo for garden visibilty.
The beardeds that I see as striking--Dusky Challenger,
Bumblebee Deelite, and Reminiscense--just don't seem to
jump out from among their neighbors as much as the others,
but I'm keeping them.
Jim Wilson, Oxford, OH, USDA Zone 6a, AIS garden judge, Region 6
growing medians, TBs, Siberians, JIs, and a few SPU and species
wilsonjh@one.net    http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~wilsonjh