Re: CULT crickets

ECPep@aol.com wrote:
> We have both crickets and grasshoppers and I have never observed either to
> harm garden plants.

Here in California we have both.  A few years ago while transplanting
iris we had a population explosion of crickets.  They did chew on those
iris out of the ground waiting to be replanted.  Those in the ground and
growing they did not bother.  Grasshoppers on the other hand will eat
the foilage both in and out of the ground.  In California during the
summer without rain we do not have much that is green so I imagine the
iris are quite attractive to them.  During some years we can have
plagues of them and I sometimes have to spray (Sevin).

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8