Iris List info for all

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Iris List info for all
  • From: Christopher Hollinshead <cris@netcom.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 22:40:12 -0600 (MDT)

Reposting this item from last March to the current subscribers of the Iris List
for the benefit of newcomers to the Iris List and a reminder to the veterans of
the List!

           ADMIN: subject tags and posting guidelines
    Date:
         Fri, 21 Mar 1997 13:11:15 -0700 (MST)
    From:
         Tom Tadfor Little <telp@rt66.com>

**** Please read this message fully and carefully ****

**** Please keep this message for reference. ****

This message includes important additions and refinements to the Iris-L
list policies, and will be incorporated into the welcome message and the
"About Iris-L" file on the web.

Iris-L began with very informal policies regarding what could be posted and
how. I wanted to build a community where everyone would feel welcome,
regardless of what they chose to talk about and how they chose to say it.

Iris-L has grown a lot during its first year. There are about 300
subscribers and the volume of mail is now huge. With that growth and
success comes more responsibility. We need to strive to be more focused and
considerate, and a bit more orderly.

With that in mind, I have formalized some of the list policies to make them
more concrete. These are not laws or restrictions, just suggested practices
that (if most of us follow them) will make the list more useful,
manageable, and pleasant for all. Please show your "good citizenship" by
reading these guidelines, keeping them for reference, and using them when
you post to the list.

*** Subject Tags ***

Here is the list of subject tags, which I encourage everyone to use to
preface the subject lines of their messages to Iris-L. Please use the tags
as they are given; do not invent variations. If the practice loses its
consistency, it will also lose much of its usefulness. I know this is a
long listing, but that is a reflection of the breadth and variety of our
discussions. Don't be intimidated; they will become quickly familiar after
a short time. Try to use the tag that fits your message best. It is often
appropriate to combine a tag from the first set (types of irises) with one
from another set. If nothing fits, don't worry. The tags are not mandatory.

TB:    tall bearded irises
MED:   median and dwarf bearded irises
AR:    arilbred and aril irises
SIB:   Siberian irises
LA:    Louisiana irises
JI:    Japanese irises
SPU:   spuria irises
PCN:   Pacific coast native irises
BULB:  bulb irises (Dutch, reticulatas, Junos)
SPEC:  iris species (particularly those not covered in another category)

REB:   reblooming irises
SA:    space-age irises
HIST:  historic irises and history of iris development

CULT:  culture
HYB:   hybridizing
REF:   references (books and society publications)
SHOW:  iris shows and related topics
AIS:   American Iris Society business and issues
PHOTO: iris photography
COMP:  iris-related computer topics (record keeping, photo digitizing, etc.)
CAT:   iris catalogs and discussion of commercial nurseries
AD:    iris-related advertisement

OT-PLANTS: other garden plants (not irises)
OT-ART:    iris-motif art and craftwork
OT-HUMOR:  iris-related humor
OT-CHAT:   personal messages and conversation (consider taking it off-list!)
OT-BIO:    introduction from a new subscriber (please follow with your name)

ADMIN: list administration issues (reserved for the list owner)

*** General Posting Guidelines (aka The Ten Commandments) ***

1. Junk Mail. Do not post messages that are circulating through the
internet at large. This includes virus warnings, humor, chain letters,
charity appeals, etc. This is not the place for them.

2. Matters for the List Owner. If someone posts something you think is
inappropriate, or if you want to make a comment regarding problems with the
list culture or the list policies, you are encouraged to refer the matter
to the list owner, off-list (at telp@rt66.com), rather than posting to the
list about it. This will keep our discussions more polite and also more
iris-oriented. Be tolerant...even of those who do not follow these
guidelines. Often it's best to just let it be.

3. Potentially Offensive Subjects. Do not post anything with political or
religious content, even if there is some tenuous connection with irises.
Some people have very strong feelings on these topics, and there is no
reason to risk starting a heated debate over something that is rather
clearly off-topic to begin with. By the same rationale, avoid using
profanity, even in jest.

4. Flames. Do not flame! When does a discussion become a flame? That's a
judgment call, of course. Examine your emotions as you type. If you're
"worked up" over the message you're replying to, don't send. Wait a day and
think it over.

5. Subject Lines. CHECK the subject line before you send, even if you are
replying to a previously posted message. If the subject line accurately
reflects the content of your message, leave it alone! If it doesn't, change
it!

6. On-List/Off-List. CHECK the recipient line before you send. If it says
"iris-l@rt66.com" the posting will go to each and every subscriber on the
list. Often, this is what you want. But if the message is personal,
off-topic, or of very limited interest, it should probably be sent to one
(or a few) particular recipients, off-list.

7. Attachments. Do not send binary attachments, such as digitized images,
to the list. There is a "cyber cork board" at the Iris-L web site for
sharing photos.

8. Message Length. Watch the size of your message. When replying to a
previously posted message, trim the quotation down to the minimum needed to
establish context.

9. Subject Tags. Use the official subject tags whenever possible.

10. Read the Manual. Finally, become familiar with your welcome message and
with the Iris-L web site at http://www.rt66.com/~telp/garden.htm. These
resources include the answers to *many* common questions (How do I go on
digest? What's the mailing address for Schreiners catalog? What is SIGNA
and how do I join?) Try not to bother the list with something you can
easily find on your own, without involving 300 other people.

Thanks to all for your patience and support. We *do* have one of the best
mailing lists around, in my humble opinion. I hope you'll agree with me
that a little extra effort in some areas can make it even better.

Happy irising, Tom.

Santa Fe, New Mexico (USA)
Telperion Productions  http://www.rt66.com/~telp/

--