Problem rhizome

I wonder if anyone can help me explain a problem I have with a couple of =
rhizomes.  There appears to be multiple (dozen or so) very small =
increases clustered together at the top of the rhizome (where you would =
expect the spike to emerge) which have skinny deformed leaves coming out =
of them.  The side increases of the same rhizome are perfectly normal =
and healthy looking.  I haven't experienced this in previous years.  Any =
thoughts would be gratefully received.

Sue Stribley, South Australia
Weather 20C with a bit of rain and it looks like flowering will be late =
this year.