Re: CULT crickets

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT crickets
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <Koekkoek@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 08:55:37 -0600 (MDT)

Claire wrote:
> I want express my amazement that crickets eat irises.  These must be southern
> crickets.  There was a grasshopper thread also recently.  They must be
> special southern grasshoppers.
> We have both crickets and grasshoppers and I have never observed either to
> harm garden plants.  Some years we have huge cricket populations, they fly
> all over in front of the mowers.  We have one living in the back hall closet
> right now.  But.........never have I seen a cricket feed in the garden nor
> have I suspected crickets.  Is the cricket a garden pest in the south?
I can assure you that these critters aren't just a southern problem.
The Grasshoppers have been very much of a plague here in the midwest
this year, and they delight in chewing iris leaves, esp. some of the
Siberians, spuria and pseudacorus.  Why they select some and not
others is a mystery to me, but the chewed and tattered remnants of
many leaves are clear testimony that they do.  The plants will
survive anyway, so I've done nothing about the pests, but the eating
has been voracious.

Arnold Koekkoek

Arnold Koekkoek                         Home Ph. (712) 722-0724
Assoc. Prof. of History                 Off. Ph. (712) 722-6326
Dordt College                           e-mail koekkoek@dordt.edu
Sioux Center, IA 51250