Re: CULT:Iris Growing in SFV

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT:Iris Growing in SFV
  • From: "Marylou G. Gibson" <mggibson@ucsd.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 12:49:05 -0600 (MDT)

I am especially interested in this issue.  I am in southern coastal
California and have  I have lots of healthy green growth on my many clumps
of TB but poor  or no bloom. These were transplanted from Seattle in 1995.
Winter temps in + 40s F.  They are fed several times during the spring and
summer with Miracle grow.  They are automatically watered 3xweek and
probably never  totally dry out. Please give us some  help.

Marylou, ZONE 9

>Ida Smith Wrote about having lots of green foliage and no flowers
>Hi Ida
>I assume SFV means San Fernando Valley.
>A couple of questions. How long have you had the irises planted in their
>current location without dividing them? How many clumps do you have and
>are none of them producing flowers, or just some? Has the problem
>existed for just this year or is it recurring. Do you feed them at all?
>What and when? What are your winter temps like?
>What has you watering schedule been like?
>John                     | "There be dragons here"
>                         |  Annotation used by ancient cartographers
>                         |  to indicate the edge of the known world.
>John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
>Fremont CA, USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
>Max high 95F/35C, Min Low 28F/-2C average 10 days each
>Heavy clay base for my raised beds.

Marylou Gibson, Ph.D.
Molecular Medicine, LLC
University of California San Diego