Re: CULT: dog attack update

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: dog attack update
  • From: Lane Alexander-Buck <alex@mail.wsu.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 14:23:59 -0600 (MDT)

Celia,
Your note re: your neighbor's lab brought tears of laughter and
frustration.  I had the exact experience when I returned from vacation to
find half my Aitken order uprooted and withering  in the baking sun.  The
culprit was my own lab whose official name is O.T. (I called him some other
unofficial names!)  His 'sitter' had not supervised his out of the pen
times and the damage was done.

O.T. has since undergone vigorous rehab and being the smart chocolate lab
that he is, now gives my iris beds a very wide berth.

I sincerely hope that your visiting lab also underwent rehab!

P.S. Think it's wonderful that the hybridizer of FRENCH PERFUME has offered
to replace your loss!!  Iris folks are so great!

Oh, almost forgot the most important part...those withering  rhzs were put
tenderly back into the ground and are recovering nicely!

Lane

>He finally showed up one afternoon, a medium-large black Lab. He did
>something I've never seen a dog do: He nosed the neighbor's gate latch to
>open it. In he went. On the other side of their yard, he found another gate
>latch and opened it same way. Out he went.
>After making a beeline down the storm drain, he lumbered up past my crepe
>myrtles and was snuffling around preparatory to you-know-what in the middle
>of my iris bed when I caught him.
>
>Friendliest animal you've ever seen. His collar said he was a hunting dog,
>and it listed a phone number. So I locked him in my back yard - which has
>been dog-proof for 20 years - but before I got halfway around the house,
>there he was, drooling on my heels. So I took him inside the house, called
>the number, got no answer. But the address was only a half-mile away, so we
>piled into the car (he loved that) and drove him home.
>
>Their back yard contained a series of chainlink baffles, tall fences nested
>one inside the next, obviously installed on the theory that some dog had
>been climbing out. There was even a roofed kennel under the deck. I left
>him in there with a note explaining his escape skill; and I haven't seen
>him since.
>
>So, based upon my experience, I think the best way to deal with a returning
>dog is to catch him, and if possible, take him home and tattle on him. It's
>more time-intensive than putting up a little fence, but a fence wouldn't
>have stopped this guy. Forget commercial repellants.
>
>celia
>storey@aristotle.net
>Little Rock
>
>P.S. The tattered remnants of TOMOKO, GINGER SWIRL, FRENCH PERFUME and
>AMBER TAMBEUR were set upon by crickets and polished off. But the rest of
>my TBs survived unharmed.

Lane Alexander                   alex@wsu.edu
Moscow, Idaho
Zone 4   Sunset zone 2