Re: CULT:Iris Growing in SFV

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT:Iris Growing in SFV
  • From: Ida Smith <ismith@ucla.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 14:58:02 -0600 (MDT)

The iris's were divided last winter when they went dormant.  I reconstituted
the clay soil to make it more porous, but I can't remember exactly what I
used.  I know that I used a fertilizer in the soil specifically formulated
for feeding bulbs.  I have not fed them since.  They are watered every three
days and are in full sun most of the day.  Right now the tips of the old
leaves are turning brown but at the bulb.  Some of the clumps produce
flowers but not all and they don't produce many, only one or two to a clump.
I just planted new bulbs in the front from an iris show last fall.  Ony
three of these bulbs bloomed and only one stalk each.  I planted ~20 bulbs.
Those have had no new fertilizer added either.  The problem for the bulbs in
back is recurring, the front bulbs have not been in long enough for me to
know.  My winter temps are >30 degrees.
  Thanks for the help,