Re: CULT - Pot culture

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT - Pot culture
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 17:32:09 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, John I. Jones wrote:

> Patricia D, Brooks wrote:
> >
> > I use packing peanuts in the botton of my pots and I get such
> > excellent root sytems.  In fact the roots grow through the peanuts.
>
> I thought they used something like this material in hydroponics to
> provide a medium for roots to grow in.

>                          |  Annotation used by ancient cartographers
>                          |  to indicate the edge of the known world.
>
> John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
> Fremont CA, USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
> Max high 95F/35C, Min Low 28F/-2C average 10 days each
> Heavy clay base for my raised beds.

	   Sorry to dissent on the 'popcorn' or 'peanut' medium placed in
the bottom of pots.  The first time I saw same, I was shocked.  The roots
hadn't grown into the stuff, and when I unpotted whatever was in the pot,
the stuff spilled and blew around everywhere, tackying up my yard and the
neighbor's.  No thanks!  I hope I never find this stuff in the bottom of a
pot ever again!!

     Walter Moores
     Enid Lake, MS 7/8