JI Questions

A private letter had some questions about versicolors, siberian, and Japanese
iris.  Thought I'd  throw this out to spurr some new threads.

>Mysterious Monique is mysterious because it will not cross with other
vesicolors.....does set some bee pods.....I've grown a few seedlings, and all
appear like or similar to MM.

<< I need a siberian that I can cross with Pink
 Haze.  Pink Haze is like a weed down south (USA).>> ......what colors do you
want to get?
Temper Tantrum (cousin of Pink Haze), will give you a whole ball park of
colors.   If you are going for more pinks, try Cheery Lyn, the best pink we
grow.  Ester CDM gives the best blue-green , upright foliage to all of her
offspring, and super form to the blossoms.

 <<Virginia B. and I wish you would put in the discription if the J.I.
 have branching.>> ....................almost ALL JI have at least one
branch, with good culture most produce two branches and with excellent
culture, most give three branches.     Now, tell me what culture you are
going to give them!?  And as the culture changes with a new 2 year plant in
its prime to an old clump that's 5 years old.....the branching will
change....diminish.     Others want us to print the Height of each
cultivar.........CULTURE ?      Others want us to give the diameter of the
bloom.......CULTURE !        ORIENTAL EYES is one of the very few JI that I
know that doesn't have a branch, but it is so vigorous and puts up more bloom
stalks per plant than most.......I don't know where it could fit in more
blooms if it had branches!!  It would be a crowded mass.....blooms
interfering with each other!!

John Coble at Ensata Gardens
Zone 5, southern Michigan