New iris pest

After salvaging about 20 modest-sized rhizomes from the wreckage of my
Louisiana Iris bed, I decided that instead of replanting them at home, I
would get all new varieties (more recent ones) and plant the remains of my
old types around the pond here at school (by the way, the pond is called
Chalgrove Lake.  I'll send a FREE RHIZOME of the species Iris albicans to
any lister who can make the connection between the name of the lake and the
name of the college).  That was about 3 weeks ago.  Checking today, I found
that nearly all the rhizomes had been dug up and eaten by the resident
beaver!  Said beaver does not devour Iris pseudacorus, however (another I.
albicans to someone who can guess why not).

Should I try this out on the same County Agent I asked what to spray for
box turtles eating my tomatoes?  Maybe the same company that makes Turtle-X
also makes Beaverid.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College