Re: CULT: Stones on Rhizomes

Gardenhous@aol.com wrote:
>  The beds will be raised and what do you all suggest as bed walls to keep
> them raised? I am mulching with shredded wood chips the paths between rows.

Lots of choices depending on how decorative you want to be, and how
tight your budget is.

My main beds are formed with 2" X 12" redwood boards held in place by
the metal posts you find at hardware stores used for holding concrete
forms. You could use 2 X 6s, 2 X 8s, 2 X 10s, almost anything. If you
use fir or pine you would want to get the kind that has been impregnated
with a preservative. In another place I use railroad ties (old ones that
have most of the cresote worn off). Some folks will caution you against
them, having had bad experiences associated with them. I never have. In
another place I just piled the dirt up and laid some big flat pieces of
stone along the edge. I scrounged them from a road construction site.
You could use cement blocks. Garden and nursery supply places out here
now carry preformed pieces of concrete that look much nicer than cement
block and are laid up much like brick without the mortar. They have sort
of a scalloped quarter round face on them. You could use old tires
either whole or cut into a semicircle. Garden places have plastic lawn
edging that would work.

Page through some garden books on the magazine racks for other ideas.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.