OT: Chalgrove Lake

>Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:30:03 -0500
>From: Barb Johnson <lgjohnson@getonthe.net>
>To: Bill Shear <bills@tiger.hsc.edu>
>Subject: Personal to Bill:  Re: Chalgrove Lake

>Bill, I think I found it!  This is copied from a page I found on the
>Internet:  (Boy I must want I. albicans very badly!)
>
>John Hampden was one of the leading architects of the resistance to
>Charles I's arbitrary rule during the years leading up to the outbreak
>of the English Civil War.
>
>He came from an ancient Buckinghamshire family with a long tradition of
>service to the Crown, but he became known as the 'Patriac Pater - The
>Father of the
>People' when he stood out against the imposition of Ship Money tax.
>
>Hampden was a tireless worker in Parliament, and played an important
>part in the impeachment of the King's cheif minister, the Earl of
>Strafford. As a result, he
>was one of the Five Members whom the King tried to arrest for high
>treason.
>
>When the Civil War broke out Hampden raised and commanded a regiment of
>foot in the Parliamentary Army - the famous Buckinghamshire Greencoats -
>and
>was appointed a member of the Committee of Safety (the Parliamentary war
>cabinet).
>
>He was also spoken of as a possible successor to the Earl of Essex as
>Lord General of the Parliamentary Army, but he was mortally wounded at
>the Battle of
>Chalgrove Field in Oxfordshire and died on the 24th of June 1643 at
>Thame.
>
>----
>Couldn't get any info from your College webpage.  Will this do? Not his
>birthplace, but his death place...
>
>Either the beaver doesn't like the taste of the pseudacorus, or there
>aren't any planted at the lake...
>
>Your friend, Barb Johnson     lgjohnson@getonthe.net
>
>I will send my address if I "won"!

Hi Barb--yes, you are the lucky winner! Please e-mail me your address and
I'll send Iris albicans.  By the way, you didn't have quite the right
answer on Iris pseudacorus.....someone else may get that one.

Iris albicans is a species that probably originated in the SE Arabian
Peninsula but is now widespread throughout the Muslim world.  White is the
color of mourning in Arab societies, and this pristine white iris has been
planted on graves from Spain to Pakistan (from whence my plants supposedly
came).  It does hold its foliage over the winter but seems perfectly hardy
here in zone 7.  It blooms just after the dwarf bearded.  Give it a
well-drained site in fairly lean soil and full sun.

I hope you don't mind my forwarding your message to the list.

Anyone want to try for Algernon Sydney?

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College