Re: CULT crickets

I find it rather depressing to learn that crickets are among the 'bad guys'
in the garden. I had always sort of thought of them as amiable idiots who
did no harm and could be entertaining.
Last winter, one took up residence in our bathroom and on occasion when a
sunbeam would strike the floor near his crevice he would come out and jump
up in the air presumably out of sheer joy. At least that was how I decided
to interpret the performance.
Alas he suddenly disappeared before spring arrived and I think it was
likely that he got sucked into the vacuum. My method of using the vacuum
usually allows for safe haven along baseboards and in corners. When my wife
Margaret does it she is considerably more thorough.

Incidentally, I grew up on the Atlantic coast and grasshoppers there were
precisely that, they hopped or jumped. Our grasshoppers in this part of the
West are fliers. They are not great fliers but they can make fairly quick
changes in direction and do some very basic aerobatics.

John Montgomery
Vernon  BC  Zone 5