OT: Adelaide weather (was problem rhizome)

Sue wrote:

>Mark and Rick,
>Thanks for responding to my question.  We did have a lot more frosts =
>than usual this year but the "pineappling" sounds feasible - sort of =
>what it looks like really.

A lot more frosts????   In Montacute, we got far fewer than usual (maybe
fewer than 6).  I was going to say that if bloom is poor this year, then
maybe it was because the winter wasn't cold enough.  But I agree that it
will be a late spring this year.  Bloom time can vary greatly between
different areas, though.
I know that where I am, plants bloom about 3 weeks later than in the city,
and with the cherries, our next-door neighbour's fruit always ripens about a
week earlier than ours, even the same varieties.

Regarding the overnight temperatures, check this out:

I know that the temperatures given in the graph are for the city, rather
than the out-lying areas, but it still provides a guide.  If you remove the
/97year/ you will get an index of the graphs for the individual months.

Ann (in South Australia)

P.S.  I know this is off topic, but I thought that some of the US people
might find it interesting.