Re: Iris ID

Given Pat's location, and the stature of the plants, I vote for Iris
cristata.  Pat, if you want to move some, wait until just after blooming
next spring.  Transplant with a good bit of native soil attached.  Keep
them evenly moist until they are established.  If you put them in a place
with more sun, they will bloom very freely in a "blue carpet" effect.
They're very good in a woodland garden with high, dappled shade from
deciduous trees.

At the office working on my iris book--final MS is due October 1st.  It has
been a delight going over Roger Foley's superb photographs for the
book--wait till you see them!

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College