Re: TB, REB: QUEEN DOROTHY and POLAR KING

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: TB, REB: QUEEN DOROTHY and POLAR KING
  • From: Donald Mosser <dmosser@ibm.net>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 15:35:56 -0600 (MDT)

At 07:56 PM 9/20/97 -0600, you wrote:
>     Today, I have one bloom open on QUEEN DOROTHY.  It looks like POLAR
>KING will have an open bloom by tomorrow.  After taking a sniff of QUEEN
>DOROTHY, I am hoping that I can get some of those rebloomers to grow in
>Florida.
>
>Mark A. Cook
>macook@iglou.com
>Lexington, KY

Mark,

A hearty welcome from AIS Region 5.  I don't remember to which part of
Florida you are headed, but there is a new society that just started around
the Jacksonville, FL area.  As far as I know, this is the only AIS
affiliate currently in Florida.  Of course, you could always start your own
new affiliate.:)  Be sure and keep in touch so that we can get you started
with our regional newsletter which will keep you informed about all of our
regional activities.

As far as tall bearded rebloomers for Florida, I think that the best advice
would be to recommend that you take a look at what grows well for
commercial growers in Georgia and South Carolina.  Without a doubt, Dr.
Lloyd Zurbrigg's things almost always do well for us in the southeast.
Some of Byers and Hager's rebloomers do well here, too.  We also have some
aspiring regional hybridizers.

Of course, I would also give any irises that you're currently growing a
shot at growing in Florida.  It's better than just leaving them all in
Kentucky. They might surprise you.  I would guess that very few bearded
varieties that exists today have be tested to any great extent in Florida,
barring whatever Robert Turley has tried.  In fact, you may want to e-mail
Robert Turley and ask what beardeds he had tried when he lived in Florida.

Good luck in your move and please contact one of us in Region 5 when you
are all settled in.

-Donald

Donald Mosser
dmosser@ibm.net