Re: CULT:Iris Growing in SFV

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT:Iris Growing in SFV
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 22:40:10 -0600 (MDT)

Ida Smith wrote:
> Thankyou for this info also.  I'm trying to prepare for winter, such as it
> is here, and I'm wondering if I should cut the green back.  If so, how close
> to the ground should I go?  The tips of the leaves are turning brown, but
> they never go completely dormant.  Please advise and thankyou!!
>   Looking forward to meeting everyone in October,

Never cut green!  The foilage is there for a purpose and that is
photosynthesis.  This produces food for the plant.  Cut the brown tips
if you will but leave the green.  The exception is when you have a bad
case of leafspot.  Leafspot usually starts at the tips of the foilage
and you should cut below these spots.  Spray with a fungicide every week
to 10 days until under control.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California