Re: CULT: fertilizing irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: fertilizing irises
  • From: rimat <terra@catskill.net>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 06:19:41 -0600 (MDT)

Dorothy Fingerhood wrote:
> At 05:25 PM 9/21/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >Can anyone tell me if dug and divided irises should be fertilized in the
> >fall just before frost and what is the best fertilizer to use?
> >Thanks
> >Rima  terra@catsksill.net
> >upstate ny   zone 4
> Rima, welcome back; hope your vacation was enjoyable.  I would NOT
> fertilize at this time of the year or later. We had a
> frost warning last night, but I haven't looked outside yet!  I'm chicken!
Hi Dorothy--
the vacation was a good one and if anyone ever is in north-east Vermont,
don't miss the shelbourne Museum.
Thanks for the info on NOT fertilizing at this times of year.
The frost did indeed arrive last night -- it was 32 at 7:30 A>M>--and I
still have several beds that need to be cut back and cleaned out.  I am
concerned about the irises I planted this past weekend.  this isn't a
severe frost but wonder if it will harm these.
Rima  terra@catskill.net
upstate ny  zone 4