Re: CULT: fertilizing irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: fertilizing irises
  • From: daf10@cornell.edu (Dorothy A. Fingerhood)
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 08:25:06 -0600 (MDT)

You wrote:

>The frost did indeed arrive last night -- it was 32 at 7:30 A>M>--and I
>still have several beds that need to be cut back and cleaned out.  I am
>concerned about the irises I planted this past weekend.  this isn't a
>severe frost but wonder if it will harm these.
>Rima  terra@catskill.net
>upstate ny  zone 4

Rima, I still have plenty of clean-up to do also.  No problem--just put on a
sweatshirt, gloves, and work away.

The main danger to irises planted late is being heaved out of the ground
during the course of winter, so that
the roots dry out and the whole plant "freeze-dries."  You will want to keep
a close  watch on these newly planted ones, over the course of the winter,
to prevent this.  The use of weights (bricks, large rocks) on the rhizome
has been hashed over recently.    If the plants do start coming out, I put
sand around the exposed roots.  Once the ground is frozen hard, a mulch will
help prevent heaving due to freeze-thaw cycles.

(Caution--store your bag of sand in a heated area, or it, too, will freeze
solid if at all moist) .

Vigilence is the key.  Keep your eye on 'em, and cover those roots if they
start coming out

Dorothy Fingerhood
daf10@cornell.edu
Newfield, NY