Re: CULT: I.versicolor

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: I.versicolor
  • From: "R. Dennis Hager" <rdhager@dmv.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 05:42:42 -0600 (MDT)

> I planted my first versicolors two weeks ago. Now I found they are best
> food for our slugs. I have now only the roots in most cases.
> Are versicolors really so tasty? Or it's my slugs that are so hungry?

In their native setting, versicolors are definitely a water iris, though
they transplant very happily to moisture retentive soil. It has been
hypothesized that the natural distribution is a function of seed
germination, but slugs aren't as likely to attack a plant in standing
water, so that factor may play in the distribution also.

My soil is sandy, with lots of humus. I have very few problems with
slugs and the versicolors perform very well. This late in the season,
their foliage looks as good as the Japanese iris, but not quite as good
as the virginicas and pseudacorus.

Good luck, Juri.

R. Dennis Hager
on Delmarva