Re: REB: Rebloom in Northeast Ohio?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: REB: Rebloom in Northeast Ohio?
  • From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 07:12:34 -0600 (MDT)

At 09:12 PM 9/22/97 -0600, you wrote:

>Unless someone tells me I am wasting my money I
>am planning on buying some rebloomers next year.
>
>Bob In the Eastern Suburbs of Cleveland Ohio
>where the Lake Effect begins.
>Is it zone 5 or is it zone 6 with lots of snow.

Bob--I would not say you'd be wasting money.  But it is good to realize
that the cold weather we have here for so long makes it a whole different
ball game!    Irises that rebloom elsehwere will not do so here; however
there ARE some that will.  You will have to pick your varieties carefully.
The reblooming society has some good info., I believe on what has rebloomed
in colder climates.

Another thing you may find is that the irises don't really "rebloom," but
DO bloom at a time other than the "normal'' season.  For instance--TOTAL
RECALL did not bloom in June for me, but it DID bloom early this month.  I
will take the flowers whenever they want to appear!

I would start my wish list with QUEEN DOROTHY and IMMORTALITY.  These have
both rebloomed here, and we are a bit colder than you.  THRICE BLESSED,
which is a SDB, I believe, has performed reliably here also.  I know there
are others--just not so many as in warmer places.

One more caution--keep a close eye on your new babies as the growing season
ends.  If there are still bloomstalks trying to form, you need to remove
them and disinfect with bleach solution.  Otherwise, soft rot can easily
set in as the freezing weather kills the bloom stalks, and the iris plant
may quietly expire over the winter.   I lost several this way before
figuring out what was going on.

GOOD LUCK--nothing ventured, nothing gained!