CULT: iris rescueing

While working at the rental, we were amazed to see the house across the
street had been cut into sections and  was about to be moved to the lake,
the owner said.  I had been eyeing covetously the scrawny irises along the
walks.  I asked if I could salvage them and he said "sure, the bulldozers
come in on Monday am!"  Needless to say, I came back Sunday with shovel and
box in hand.

Most of these were not really what I call rhizomes, more like super little
babies, fans about 3" tall and rhizome about 1" long and 1/2" wide.  They
had little soil or water for who knows how long.  I got about 150 of these
little guys and have shaken them off, pulled old foliage and cut leaves back
a bit.

Now, I dont plan to plant these till next spring in their new home.  Should
I put these in vermiculite in a cold place to hold them?  They take up most
of a 5 gallon pail by themselves.

When I dig my own irises in late Nov (house goes on the market next month
and I go to Antarctica for Dec and Jan, they gotta be taken care of then...)
can I store them the same way?  Should I cut fans and roots back also?

I appreciate all the help.  I will hopefully have more plants to try to ID
in a few years, the gent did not know what color or kind of iris they were,
"Mom put them in, I dont remember when, and I never cared about them".

Free irises are a joy to me, the mystery of what they are and who grew them
and will they grow well for me???!!!???
Sharon A. Ruck,  the herb and Harley Davidson lady
sharon@software.nsbf.nasa.gov
http://members.tripod.com/~ruckster/index.html