Re: REB: different blooming times

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: REB: different blooming times
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <Koekkoek@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 13:26:35 -0600 (MDT)

>From:          apearce@academy.net.au
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
> Subject:       REB: different blooming times

> >Another thing you may find is that the irises don't really "rebloom," but
> >DO bloom at a time other than the "normal'' season.  For instance--TOTAL
> >RECALL did not bloom in June for me, but it DID bloom early this month.  I
> >will take the flowers whenever they want to appear!
> Does this happen with a lot of cultivars?  Even though I am in a somewhat
> warmer climate than you, last spring Victoria Falls didn't bloom, but it did
> in autumn.
> It's possible, though, that this was just because it hadn't received the
> proper care and attention prior to spring, but did receive it in summer.
> Ann

Rebloomers, so-called, have rarely done their act for me, and I
presume it is because I'm too far north (zone 4) to get the right
conditions most years.  However, of the ones that have bloomed in the
fall, not one has ever bloomed in spring first:  Queen Dorothy,
Feedback, Lichen, Genteel, Lo Ho Silver are the only ones I've had in
the 4 or 5 yr. of planting reputed rebloomers in  Zone 4 that have
actually performed here.  And it has always been "fall only."  That
huge reblooming Recurring Dream, which Rick Tasco wrote about, is
most appealing, because in all honesty I must say that I probably
would not give these a second look if it were not for the fact that
they might bloom in the fall.

Arnold Koekkoek

Arnold Koekkoek                         Home Ph. (712) 722-0724
Assoc. Prof. of History                 Off. Ph. (712) 722-6326
Dordt College                           e-mail koekkoek@dordt.edu
Sioux Center, IA 51250