season in the North

Hello All

It has been a while since I posted.  A couple quick comments.  This
year's plantings were confined to border beardeds, dwarfs, and
Siberians,  ( a couple Japs and Spurias)  My plants came from MidAmerica
Gardens (Black) okla. and they were nice, plus I got them in late July.
I planted about 100 beardeds and about 30 Sibs.  I have lost one
bvearded to rot.  All the Sibs are alive including Roaring Jelly which
promptly looked like it was to die but I used Ellen G's advice and just
kept pouring the water on.  Thanks Ellen!  I am most interested in
Strawberry fair which looks good at this point.

Other comment:  I had a lot of rot in my earlier planting of beardeds so
i moved all my plants a year ago to a bed of sand with a little bit top
soil.  I further planted them so that they sat on TOP of the soil, only
the roots entered the soil.   This is not recommended, I know.  Now, a
year later, ALL of the plants have pulled themselves down into the soil
and the soil pretty much covers the tops of the rhizomes.  So much for
my method of discouraging rot.   Nonetheless,  rot has been minimal this
year.

Final comments.  Once again BREAKERS takes the prize as a gorgeous
plant, with no blooms.  I've had this three years now, it is a beautiful
BIG clump with nice foliage, no blooms.
BEFORE THE STORM was perhaps my most beautiful iris this spring,
unbelievably pretty.
Now, soon, the snow will fly.........

Lee DeJongh  Rhinelander WI  Zone 3  Region 8