CULT: Hello Darkness (was Re: Shift in Iris popularity Ratings)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: Hello Darkness (was Re: Shift in Iris popularity Ratings)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:07:14 -0600 (MDT)

and Juri wrote:
> Is this about Hello Darkness too?
> Here it is one of the best grower.
In the original post by Dave Soper, he listed the ones that have
INCREASED in popularity  the most as well as the ones that have
decreased the most.  HELLO DARKNESS went from being in the 101st 'most
favorite' to being 17th.  The poll is ranked with the most popular as
#1, so HELLO DARKNESS has jumped more than 80 points in the 'top 100' -
a huge increase in popularity.  I have had it for a couple of years with
no bloom (I got a tiny end of season start of it summer before last but
it had no excuse not to bloom this spring, darn it).  But it seems to be
quite healthy.  If I had seen it in bloom in a garden, it would
definitely be one of my votes for Rusty's most striking iris poll.  One
of our club members brought a stalk to our "display only" show year
before last and I think every one of our club members went out and
ordered one.  It drew a lot of attention all through the show.  I fear
it may be a fussy bloomer with late freezes even though it doesn't bloom
particularly early - nobody brought in a stalk this year.  If it does
turn out to be an unreliable bloomer in some parts of the country, it
will probably drop back down some in this year's poll.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA, sort of zone 7, (sometimes zones 5-9)
First soaking rain since June - wonderful return to the rain forest