Re: OT: Travel question Tennessee and Georgia

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997 09:46:37 -0600 (MDT) "Michael Cook"
<macook@iglou.com> writes:
>     A few years ago, someone told me that there was a short cut from
>Cleveland, Tennessee to Dalton Georgia.  It was said that instead of
>taking
>Interstate 75, one could get off at Cleveland, TN and take state route
>60,
>which, at the border becomes Georgia 71 to Dalton, and get back on
>Interstate 75 there.
>    Are any of you familiar with this route?  Is it a good road or is
>it a
>"snake" road?  Since there is a lot of construction around
>Chattanooga, I
>am interested in this alternative route.

This is a reasonably good road, particularly after you get into Georgia.
It is, however, two-lane undivided road in at least some places.  You can
also exit I-75 at Cleveland, TN, take Hwy. 40/64/74 (all three run
together at this point) to Hwy. 411 southbound.  This is a better road.
You can then continue on 411 south to Cartersville, GA, or take Hwy. 76
west from 411 to I-75, rejoining the interstate near Dalton, GA.

Try to avoid hitting Chattanooga or Atlanta during rush hour.  I can give
advice on alternate routes in/through Atlanta if you need it.

Lynn Woosley
Marietta, GA
USDA Zone 8