Re: losing rhizomes

>  I was wanting to know if there is anything that I can do this
>late in the season to help the irises short of moving them?  I have a
>feeling that I can't do much and I will have to learn from this mistake.

Oh Rosalind!  You sound so unhappy!   In my garden, a dead iris is an
opportunity - a place to plant something else.

I'm kidding with you.  Yes - your site sounds like it might be too wet and
too shady for successfully growing BEARDED iris.  I wouldn't do anything
about it this year - I don't think you'd gain any advantage and they're most
likely going dormant now anyway.

This is what you can think about in the spring, however... find yourself a
spot with at least 6 hours of sun and, taking a large chunk of soil with it,
move your irises.  If you, like me, have a rather moist yard - prepare a spot
that's raised (I just heap up the dirt and then plunk a stone here and there
to keep it in place.

Then, back at the ranch... find yourself some siberian irises for that
northern garage exposure.  They can tolerate less sun and they'll appreciate
the moisture.

See, Rosalind, you have the right conditions... but the wrong iris!

Kathyguest - E. Aurora, NY