Re: CULT: Hello Darkness

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Hello Darkness
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 05:44:09 -0600 (MDT)

Rick Tasco wrote:
> If HELLO DARKNESS dosen't perform for you may want to try another
> Schriener iris which was my top pick of the blacks this year.  BLACK TIE
> AFFAIR.  To me this iris was superior to Hello Darkness.  Tall stalks,
> plenty of buds and even some ruffles.  I used it extensively while
> hybridizing.  Don't know how it will perform for you, but you won't know
> unless you try.

Thanks for the tip, Rick.  According to the Schreiner catalog, HELLO
DARKNESS is an EM bloomer, and BLACK TIE AFFAIR is a midseason bloomer,
so it should have a better shot at making it thru the freezes, at least
as far as bloom stalks go.  One of our club members buys a lot of
Schreiner iris, including lots of new intros.  He always likes to "swap"
with me ("Here, Linda, see if you can kill this one.  You don't have
this already?!  But you HAVE to have THIS one.  I know you didn't ask
for this one, but you NEED to have it") even though I never can come up
with anything he wants in exchange.  The only way I know to pay him back
is to dig a ton of iris for our annual sale and pass his generosity on
to others.  He serves as a good screening for Schreiner irises.  If they
won't do well for him, they will die for me for sure.  I will see what
he says about BLACK TIE AFFAIR.

Is the color and ?texture? (what category of bloom characteristic do
qualities like sheen, satin, velvet, and plush fall into?) about the
same?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
wondering what the unlabelled extra from Hall's year before last will be
- first bloom stalk in 1 1/2 years, racing against the frost clock.