Re: losing rhizomes

>On Thu, 25 Sep 1997 Irisborer@aol.com wrote:
>
>> In a message dated 97-09-24 23:38:38 EDT, you write:
>>
>> >  I was wanting to know if there is anything that I can do this
>> >late in the season to help the irises short of moving them?  I have a
>> >feeling that I can't do much and I will have to learn from this mistake.

>	Or, you can take your digging fork, stick it under the clump, and
>raise it gently.  Then poke under the elevated clump a good handful of
>alfalfa pellets and another handful of peat moss.  Push the clump back
>into position.  Water it if it needs some.  Do this now!

These irises are in the wrong place.  The north side of a house is simply
too shady to support decent growth and bloom.  Alfalfa and peat moss, I
suspect, will make the situation worse by encouraging more moisture and
decay.

My advice--let be until next summer.  I doubt that the plants will actually
die in the meantime.  Then move them somewhere where they can get some sun.
And plant Hostas on the north side of the house!

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943