Re: losing rhizomes

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: losing rhizomes
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 17:36:33 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Bill Shear wrote:

> >	Or, you can take your digging fork, stick it under the clump, and
> >raise it gently.  Then poke under the elevated clump a good handful of
> >alfalfa pellets and another handful of peat moss.  Push the clump back
> >into position.  Water it if it needs some.  Do this now!
> These irises are in the wrong place.  The north side of a house is simply
> too shady to support decent growth and bloom.  Alfalfa and peat moss, I
> suspect, will make the situation worse by encouraging more moisture and
> decay.
> Bill Shear
> Department of Biology
> Hampden-Sydney College
> Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
> (804)223-6172
> FAX (804)223-6374
> email<bills@tiger.hsc.edu>
	I have irises on the north side of the house in MS and have
performed the practice I described above on plants I neglected to separate
and appeared to be on the decline.  I have not lost one plant with this
procedure.  I would never have recommended it if I had not had experience
with it.  I would not want to kill my plants or anybody else's!

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8