Re: losing rhizomes

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: losing rhizomes
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 17:58:31 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey wrote:

> Walta, I'm puzzled that you suggested using peat moss and alfalfa pellets.
> Were you thinking that they'd absorb some of that standing water and swell
> up, lifting the rhizomes higher? That seems to assume she won't be getting
> any more rain.
> Peat and alfalfa wouldn't be a good planting base in my Arkansas garden.
> Does it work in yours? You have that heavy gumbo-mud clay to contend with,
> right? Maybe we've nudged into another of those Curious Regional
> Differences (CRD) that cause some list members to espouse cultural
> practices folks from other areas don't understand.
> celia
> storey@aristotle.net
> Little Rock ... hub of the known universe
	I described the 'peat procedure' in a previous post.  I had used
peat quite a bit in TX and produced gigantic rhizomes.  The average
annual rainfall in the D/FW area was 33".  When, I moved to MS, where we
can have up to 60" of rainfall, I did not use peat because of the ideas
you presented above.  I was not thrilled with the small rhizomes I was
producing for sale, so after a few years of growing tiny rhizomes, I
started using peat again, and in Starkville, my garden was in a low spot.
I decided to try some peat in a test plot.  Voila! Large rhizomes I was
accustomed to growing in TX began to appear in MS.  There was no
increase with rot in that area; therefore, I began to incorporate peat
into every bed I planted.

	One will hear all these stories about not using peat with bearded
irises but until one has tried it personally, one will never know the

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8