Re: CULT: Lesson learned

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Lesson learned
  • From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 07:13:36 -0600 (MDT)

At 06:11 PM 9/25/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Rick advised soaking all rhizomes received from outside sources in a 20%
>bleach solution for 30 minutes. I must confess that I have always sort
>of "trusted" the commercial houses to send me clean rhizomes and have
>planted them without the precaution that Rick recommends.
>shipment have been given the same treatment.  <snip>

> I think it would be fair to
>say that even a grower who is scrupulous about sending out clean
>rhizomes could be ambushed by a quirk of Mother Nature, so, from now on,
>I will use Rick's ounce (or several ounces) of prevention, no matter
>what the source.

Griff and all
This is the hard lesson I learned several years ago, also.  I had been
careful to soak all incoming irises for years, then got lazy one year and
just planted them as received.  Unfortunately, along with the rhizomes, I
also received boytritis rot, which was something I had never seen before.
Spring sent me scurrying to the reference books to find out what had turned
those healthy-looking rhizomes into black sponges!

  Those irises also came from a well-known, credible dealer.  I had
purchased from them for years and will continue to do so.  Life is not
perfect,  and we all need to take appropriate precautions.  Here we have
all the pests and pestilences we need, thank you!