Re: LA: cultivation in Tidewater Virginia

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: LA: cultivation in Tidewater Virginia
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 07:59:49 -0600 (MDT)

Celia wrote,

<< I mean to send her some Miracid 30-10-10 powder through the mail. Is there
 still time for a fall dose? About when in spring should she fertilize again?
 Will the foliage stay evergreen?  The starts are mulched in pine needles
four-six inches deep and are growing  like Topsy. Should she pile on more
mulch for winter?>>
Hi, Celia. We've pretty much finished any fertilizing for this year. I'd
leave them alone so as not to stimulate vulnerable new growth  Looks like an
early Fall. Tell your sister to fertilize with the Miracid in early spring
when she sees growth start, and again in the early Fall next year with either
Miracid or an azalea fertilizer. An organic product such as Holly-tone from
Espoma is also good. Tell her not to get anything granular on any rhizomes
which have risen to the surface. Mulch is a thorny one. Louisianas need a
mulch to prevent sunscald of the rhizome and keep the moisture in, but if
burrowing rhizome-gnoshing rodents are a problem for her--especialy
voles--the mulch provides an attractive haven and nesting material for them.
So she may want to use an inorganic mulch such as pea gravel or Turface.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond,Va
Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com