Re: CULT: antibacterial organics? (was Re: losing rhizomes)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: antibacterial organics? (was Re: losing rhizomes)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 18:05:47 -0600 (MDT)

- from a text book in a class I took more than 30 yrs ago:

"Although many theories have been advanced for the control of
damping-off organisms by sphagnum [a type of peat] moss, the most
plausible explanation lies in the antibiotic theory.  Fungi associated
with sphagnum moss apparently exude or contain substances which prevent
the development of fungal complexes that cause damping-off. [why this is
called 'antibiotic' is obscure to me]  This theory is supported by the
fact that sphagnum in the fresh state or recently baled affords damping
off control under a wide range of conditions...."  etc (older stuff
doesn't work as well)

from Plant Propagation 1957 (!!) by Mahlstede and Haber.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
wondering what made that tiny paragraph lodge in my mind all these