Re: CULT: antibacterial organics?

Linda Mann reported:

<<  Fungi associated  with sphagnum moss apparently exude or contain
substances which prevent  the development of fungal complexes that cause
damping-off. [why this is  called 'antibiotic' is obscure to me]  This theory
is supported by the
 fact that sphagnum in the fresh state or recently baled affords damping
 off control under a wide range of conditions.... >>

Yes, this protective aspect of spagnum is mentioned in current propagation
literature. I haven't heard more about why it works, and I had assumed,
apparently in error, that it was effective because it wouldn't support fungal

I really don't understand the difference between spagnum and regular peat and
I hope someone can explain.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA
Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com