Re: FortWorth Iris Sale

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: FortWorth Iris Sale
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 20:43:20 -0600 (MDT)

>>I > I took tons of no-name iris to our CIS sale and you know,
>>I > they didn't sell very well.  Was so sad.
>
>Two thoughts here..... first of all, we are usually able to sell all our
>no-names by writing a color on them.... pricing them right (3/$1) and calling
>them ORPHANS.

Kathy's idea works, but I can go her one better. We sold a garden full of
wonderful irises that had become separated from their names. We charged 75
cents to $2 for each rhizome, depending on size. This worked because we
posted photos of each plant in bloom, number-coded to numbers written on
each rhizome. The shoppers were able to see how lovely the orphans were and
so snatched them up. Meanwhile we made it very clear these were landscape
plants only, and names would not be available ever.
Granted, you'd have to start planning during bloom, and there is an initial
expense for film and processing. But we made about four times what was
spent.

Plants for which we had no photos or descriptions were sold in grab bags.

celia
storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock