Re: CULT - Pot culture

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT - Pot culture
  • From: Dana Brown <ddbro@llano.net>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 22:30:46 -0600 (MDT)

> Sorry to dissent on the 'popcorn' or 'peanut' medium placed in
> the bottom of pots.  The first time I saw same, I was shocked.  The roots
> hadn't grown into the stuff, and when I unpotted whatever was in the pot,
> the stuff spilled and blew around everywhere, tackying up my yard and the
> neighbor's.  No thanks!  I hope I never find this stuff in the bottom of a
> pot ever again!!
	I just dug several LA's that had been potted in half a 55 gallon barrel
with peanuts in the bottom third.  Worked great, grew well and monster
roots on the cultivars.  Will continue to use this practise as it
drastically reduces the weight of the pots.

Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7 Usda, Zone 10 Sunset
17.76".  Our average wind speed is 12.5 mph and we have an average