Re: CULT: antibacterial organics? (was Re: losing rhizomes)
- To: Multiple recipients of list <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: CULT: antibacterial organics? (was Re: losing rhizomes)
- From: Linda Mann <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:43:01 -0600 (MDT)
> Meanwhile, I had the impression that we had decided that bleach in moderation
> was essentially benign, and a viable approach to treating non-specific
> situational rots. Have I misunderstood?
I was referring to what may seem a subtle distinction, but I think some
of the European or British listers mentioned last year that chlorine
based cleaning products are not sold there because of the potential for
formation of chlorinated organics, some of which can be very persistent
in the environment. They didn't discuss the subject in detail, and it
may have more to do with industrial use of chlorine and byproducts of
manufacture than with home use (hence my more recent curiosity about how
Clorox is made - an off-topic thread for sure!).
So, my thought was - we put the Clorox on to kill something because it
is toxic. What we want to kill is a microorganism. The peat might be
making microorganisms live and eat other microorganisms. Enhancing the
food web rather than diminishing it.
It may be the peat also kills microorganisms by direct or indirect toxic
action also - my horticulture book said there may be fungi in the peat
that kill damping off fungi, but didn't say if they do this by wrapping
their little hyphae around them and squeezing their gizzards out
(metaphorically speaking) or by exuding some toxic chemical.
Lots of interesting chemistry going on underground out there.
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
Hoping somebody who knows more about the subject will chime in.