Re:OT: Judges Training

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re:OT: Judges Training
  • From: scott jordan <sjordan@unm.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 12:38:39 -0600 (MDT)

> > Subject: OT: Judges Training
> > Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 20:51:10 -0400
> > From: Joanne Pyszczek <jopyz@earthlink.net>

> > My mind has been wandering around a bit today and I'd just like to
> >  hear some other opinions about one thing that crossed my mind.
> >  Wouldn't it be wonderful if AIS had a video library of judges training
> >  tapes?  I do realize there is no money for something like this to be
> >  professionally done, but a competent person with a camcorder should
> >  be able to do an acceptable job.  It would be a great way for
> >  people unable to make it to a National to hear our "stars" talk
> >  about their area of speciality.  I don't mean this as a replacement
> >  for a live in person training session but more as a supplement to it.
> >   Just curious to know what others might think about a someday idea.
> >  Joanne
> > > jopyz@earthlink.net

Judges training videos do exist related to arils and arilbreds and they are
quite helpful.  The Albuquerque Aril Society, a local group, sponsored taping
the last judging workshop given by Howard Shockey, in May, 1994 and a subsequent
presentation by Luella Danielson two years later.  Both individuals are or were
noted arilarians and iris judges.  Both were professionally taped and some of
the costs were underwritten by other iris societies in New Mexico.  One of the
tapes has been used for official AIS judges training earlier this year, with
AIS Judge's Chair approval.  Discussion by a qualified individual and a written
examination were mandatory. Based on this experience, I believe that such videos
have much to offer, especially related to iris types which tend to be regionally
concentrated so that speakers are not readily available without long distance
travel costs.  The Albuquerque Aril Society makes these tapes available for purchase
at a cost of $20 each (including postage).  Contact me offline if interested.
Scott Jordan, Albuquerque, NM      sjordan@unm.edu