Re: Tapes from AIS?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Tapes from AIS?
  • From: scott jordan <sjordan@unm.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 18:24:18 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997 Irisborer@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 97-09-27 15:43:19 EDT, you ((Arnold Koekkoek)) write:
> > The costs can't be all that
> >great if judges were willing to donate their time for the sake of AIS
> >(spoken like a non-judge, obviously) and whatever they are could soon
> >be recovered via even nominal rental charges, much as AIS does with
> >the slides.  Can somebody in high places react?  Are there abstacles
> >that I don't immediately see?
> Well.... the ONLY obstacle I might see is for using tapes for garden judges
> training... not a good idea since there are subtle things that the tape may
> not pick up that is pertinent to the appreciation of the iris as a garden
> plant.
> HOWEVER.... since awards and balloting is a requirement... and since it is
> pretty cut and dried.... I think this would be an IDEAL solution!
> Kathyguest...getting ready to hose off to see round II of Lloyd Zurbrigg.
>  Round I being a judges training session which was a beautiful thing.  Would
> somebody tell whoever's working on the cloning projects to get a piece of the
> man right away.

Hello Iris Listers:
Please take a look at my posting of earlier today.  The experiment has
been tried and is successful!  The Albuquerque Aril Society sponsored the
taping of two judges' training workshops by eminent aril and arilbred
hybridizers Howard Shockey and Luella Danielson, with excellent results.  They
were taped by professional video people using two cameras, one for close
up and one for distance.  The views were then alternated to keep interest
focussed.  The cost of producing a mastertape ranged from $750 and $950
depending on time.  Of course copies for distribution are made from the
master.  I strongly recommend the employment of experienced individuals.
Everyone has a videocamera, but previous amateur made tapes have turned out poorly.
If a person attending the workshop attempts to videotape it may be difficult for them
to follow the presentation; it may not be easy to find a (non-iris) spouse or friend
to press into service for this function.  Also, significant editing is likely to be
required for a useful tape.  A cost of around $1000 is within the
budget of many societies, but in our experience is not likely to be
recouped soon if the tapes sell for around $20.  Production of such tapes
should be considered a service function by iris societies.
    This spring a judges' workshop was given in Nebraska using one of the
above mentioned tapes, with approval of AIS.  This has set a precedent
which presumably will be continued.  Note that AIS requires more than
simply showing a tape to obtain judges' credit hours.  As mentioned
in the earlier posting, discussion and a written examination were requirements
as well, but these are not onerous.  Before an iris society decides to embark
on production of a tape for judges' training, it would be wise to
contact AIS Judges' Chair Glen Corlew to ascertain that the approval policy will
be continued in the future.     Great Blooms!
                    Scott Jordan    Albuquerque, NM