Re: OT: Clorox & the Environment

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT: Clorox & the Environment
  • From: "Albert F. Limberg" <campconn@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 20:42:56 -0600 (MDT)

Linda Mann wrote:

> Wonder when this site was put together?

	I suspect that this information has been around for a while.  Haven't
foggiest when they put the website together but I suspect that is at
least two years old.  Worked with Clorox company professionally many
times during by career as a compliance officer for the Consumer Product
Safety Commsssion and found them to be quite responsive to consumer
concerns and safety concerns.  Problem is that, as with most hotlines,
all telephone personnel are not acquianted with all problems and the
manuals don't cover all the bases.  You have to know what questions to
ask.  Suggest that you start with the Clorox home page at
<http://www.clorox.com> and go from there.

> And, after reading their site, wonder why chlorine based cleansers are
> banned wherever it is?  Maybe it was Sweden?  Maybe they aren't really
> banned anywhere?

	As for the "banning" question, thought the reference wa to England.  I
found it interesting that one person's "caution" is another person's
"ban."  I would be truly surprised if hypochlorite bleaches were banned
ANYWHERE.  Hypochlorite bleach, when used as directed, again, WHEN USED
AS DIRECTED, is as safe a sanitizing agent as you will find anywhere.  I
use it to sanitize potable water bags and bottles after backpacking
trips and campouts.  I have also used it to "sanitize" rhizomes when I
divide my iris.

> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
>
> Wondering what a mixture of Clorox, peat, and alfalfa pellets would do.
> Probably make rocket fuel.

Not sure about this but let me know so I can stand UPwind when you mix
them.

Al Limberg
Concord, CA