REF: Iris books

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: REF: Iris books
  • From: Donald Mosser <dmosser@ibm.net>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 22:26:35 -0600 (MDT)

Now that I have my copy, I just thought that I would mention what a great
bargain that I feel I got on a recent iris book purchase.  I just received
my copy of:
"A Guide to Species Irises : Their Identification and Cultivation"
Species Group of the British Iris Society (Editor) / Hardcover / Published
1997.

I purchased it from Barnes and Noble Bookstores website for approximately
$35.00(U.S).  I had wanted this book since it was discussed on the IRIS-L
many months ago, but when I checked Amazon Books on the World Wide Web at
the time it listed for $105.00 (and still does). This was and still is a
little out of my price range for a single new book. Apparently, it pays to
keep pricing around for iris books.  This guide to species is not a coffee
table book, but it seems to have a good bit of information and should serve
me well as a reference book in the future.

Barnes and Noble had such good deals that I stocked up for winter reading
and iris dreaming by purchasing the following books:

The Japanese Iris / Currier McEwen / Hardcover

Iris: Flower of the Rainbow / Graeme Grosvenor,Jim Frazier / Hardcover
(Yes, $38.50! rather than the publisher's price of $55.00)

Growing Irises, 2nd Ed. (Growing Series) / Graeme Grosvenor / Paperback

Could someone please give me their opinion or review on the following books?

The Genus Iris / Dykes William R / Paperback

The Iris / Brian Mathew / Hardcover (what are the big differences between
the first and second editions of this book?)

Thanks,

Donald

Donald Mosser
Member of AIS, HIPS, SIGNA, SSI, SLI, SPCNI, and IRIS-L
dmosser@ibm.net

North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
USDA Zone 7b-8