youth member meets Lloyd Zurbrigg

The Western New York Iris Society had its annual banquet yesterday, under
the able leadership of Peter Weixlmann, who M.C.'d and called the raffle
ticket numbers for door prizes.  ------> did you get a prize, Peter??

Well, I picked up Lloyd's 'Matrix' and 'Jean Marie'!! Whoopee!! 'Clarence'
had already been snatched up by Region 2's RVP who must have some influence

But, I'm anxious to try these rebloomers here in zone 6a.

WNYIS presented an award to the Youth who won the coloring contest in the
June TB show, Jason Houck, a 10 year old gardening enthusiast who drew
and colored 'Katrinka Franz', which he says is on his wish list.

(Does anyone have this CV they'd be willing to donate to Janson??)

And, Jason has a piece of Lloyd's 'Clarence' to grow.  What a thrill for
a young person to meet and shake hands with a master hybridizer. Jason will
not forget this experience, and learned a good deal about the art of
hybridizing, too.  I think he might have caught some of the twinkle in
Lloyd's eye and the mischiveous nature which has allowed Lloyd to produce
some interesting Space Age Iris, dispite years of going against the
conventionalists who favor the traditional form. Lloyd may be looking
toward a "double" iris, with flouncy spoons and frilly extensions on the
beard.

Maybe we can watch Jason catch the wave.

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY -- who won the floral centerpiece too!!