Lloyd Z and Rebloom

The members of the WNY Iris Society (plus some good friends... Dorothy
Fingerhood, Cheryl and Erich Schaefer) had a fantastic judges training and a
magical evening yesterday with Lloyd Zurbrigg.

First of all... for those looking for good trainers, I highly recommend
Lloyd.  He is concise, organized, interesting, and knowledgeable.  He throws
in a few stories - endlessly fascinating - which breaks up the meatier parts
of the judges training.  This session was a combination of Space Age and
Reblooming Irises and you KNOW it's a good session when you head for the
garden the minute you get home.

Folks... I've never had a rebloom stalk on anything, but yesterday I found
one on BOLD IMP (MTB)!  Might be an aberration or it might be a gift to
someone who is now in the rebloom camp.

Space Age iris... can't live without MESMERIZER, that's for darn sure!

Anyway... it was a very good session and I had the pleasure of taking Lloyd
back to the place he is staying so we got to know each other a bit
(especially since I got lost - SOP for Kathyguest).

Last night's banquet was outstanding.  The banquet committee outdid
themselves - everyone got a chocolate iris sucker! (never seen one before)..
lovely flower arrangements on each table.. some of the lucky few (like
Kathyguest) got handmade bags with applicaed (sp????) irises on them.  And
there were LOTS of irises and other goodies for door prizes.  I came home
with another IMMORTALITY and the current iris of my dreams, CLARENCE.

One of our members is a very skillful musician and he just decided to bring
his violin and keyboard and serenade us before and after dinner... strolling
from table to table.  He played OVER THE RAINBOW so beautifully that you held
your breath... some selections from Phantom of the Opera... and at our table
he played EIDLEWEISS.. which moved me to my very marrow since it was my Dad's
favorite and the tune we played at his funeral service.   Fortunately, before
I had to be shot, he launched into a ho down, hand- blurring number that I'd
have clogged to if I had a clue how to clog.

Lloyd's evening presentation was totally different from the Judges Training.
 A whirlwind tour through rebloomers old and new and space age and other
novelties.  Again... endlessly entertaining.  Even Mr. Guest has enthralled
and he has to be brought to these things at gunpoint.

But the thrill of the evening was when Lloyd sang a haunting ballad a
cappella following the banquet.  A memory that we'll cherish forever.

Peter Weixlmann, chair of WNY, did his usual fine job of keeping the action
going (although I had six raffle tickets to be drawn and he apparently dumped
four of them).  Our table consisted of Dorothy Fingerhood, Joanne Pyszczek,
Rachel Martin, Carolyn Schaffner (who had me weeping with laughter), Lloyd
and Peter (who else?)

All in all... a splendid time was had by all and I just had to put it in
writing while it was all still so fresh.

Kathyguest.... beautiful music still ringing in her ears