Dolomite Lime,PLEASE HELP!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Dolomite Lime,PLEASE HELP!
  • From: Steven & Sharlyn Rocha <srocha@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 09:55:08 -0600 (MDT)

Hello Iris Lovers,
	I have some important questions about Dolomite Lime.  I have gotten my
daughter's sixth grade class interested in planting a bed of iris on the
school grounds.  I am donating a different color iris for each member of
the class.  They are planting them tomorrow as a class project.  I prepared
the soil with compost and super phosphate and  15-15-15. My problem is that
the soil still doesn't look right to me.  I have never seen a soil so
claylike.  I used to make pottery, and this soil feels like potter's clay.
It also had some red dirt at one layer.  Even though I put in plenty of
compost, it looks clumpy.  Steve said he had heard that adding Dolomite
Lime to the soil will help breakdown clay.  Does this work and how much
should I add?  They are planting tomorrow so I would appreciate any advice
I can get today.
Another question about Dolomite Lime concerns my apricot tree.  We have
tried everything for seed rot in that tree.  Every year it gets a beautiful
crop of apricots and by the time they are almost ripe, every seed is
enveloped with rot.  The outsides look normal but the insides are
worthless.  I have tried different fertilizers and composting and have
asked many experts but nothing has helped.  We are ready to cut the tree
down.  It has occured to me now to try Dolomite Lime.  The reason is that
when out tomato plants get a strange rot on the bottoms of them, we use
Dolomite Lime and it cures the problem right away in future tomatoes.
Could it be that this would solve the problem in the apricots?  I hate to
take another year messing with this tree if it will be to no avail.
				Thanks in advance,
Steven and Sharlyn Rocha
Zone 9, Region 15
Ramona, Ca. 22 miles N.E. of San Diego